Thursday, October 29, 2009

Insights from Germany

Janin Bogner flies to Hong Kong at least 3 times a year to meet the designers of Zapf Creations, the doll company she brand manages. Because she travels often for work, she’s adamant that they’re quality trips. I deserve a nice flight - that's my time. I sacrificed one day of my free, private time to be in Hong Kong on a Sunday afternoon, a day before the Monday business meeting. I regard the flight as being my own, private time – I don’t want to see, read, think or talk about work during that time. I just try to make it the most comfortable I can, and if possible, as luxurious as I can."

“Before my first flight to Hong Kong my colleagues told me I shouldn't get too excited as we would be in office from 9am until 10pm and by that time, I wouldn’t get a chance to see the sights. So I thought, okay… I’ll turn on the ‘business-mode’ and get over it. Well, it turned out to be completely different. It was so great - due to the long opening hours of shops and restaurants in Hong Kong, we got the chance to see a lot. Now, I have special places, shopping centers, markets and restaurants, which I visit on every trip. Its become a routine.

“I always take something very typical from the city I have recently been to back to my home. They’re little presents for my colleagues and family. Last time I brought a Chinese talisman, which brought good luck to my colleagues. I collect these little things and clip them on my laptop bag – it reminds me where I have already been in the world and, I always have a story to tell.”

Recognize that work finds its place in life. Life is the bigger story.

**********************************************************************************


Carl is a 34-year-old private banker who often travels to Europe and Asia for business. Having flown to these locations business so frequently, his routes feel familiar - and almost comforting. “When something becomes a routine, there is flow. It’s not stressful; the trip (itself) feels like home.”

Yvonne has worked at Lufthansa for thirty years. She too, notices the level of comfort frequent fliers feel (and demand) onboard. "For status customers (Frequent Traveler, Honors, Senators) flying is routine. The airplane is their second living room. They know all the processes. They even hang their jackets in the wardrobe. It is a new phenomenon - that they’re seeing themselves as part of the crew. No wonder. Some of them fly more than us! You do not see them as normal passengers. It’s like a nice orchestra between us and them.”

Routine is nice. Offer routine’s peace of mind

**********************************************************************************


Early this year Leif Lupp, an investment banker, flew with Emirates for the first time. It was a work trip in business class to Dubai. He was really impressed. “The attention to detail was stunning.”

“I felt pampered, through and through. We were picked up by a chauffeur from our office and were driven directly to the airport. The food and the lounge had a great variety and felt very luxurious. As a passenger, I felt appreciated and taken care of. That‘s something special. However, while I value Emirates and would call them my favourite airline, I would first pick a Star Alliance airline in order to profit from the bonus miles. I would be so happy if Emirates were a member of the Star Alliance miles and more… then I would always try to fly with them. But earning miles takes priority over special service. And Star Alliance has mostly good quality, so it‘s not a real sacrifice.“

Loyalty and alliances are long-standing and hard to break. Offer more incentive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment