Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Louisa: A business traveler

Louisa worries about the future. It is partly the media forcing us to consider the environment and economic climate, and partly her age, she believes. Either way she thinks about the future a lot and makes sure she plans ahead.

"I am very pragmatic about my planning. The future IS exciting of course, but you have to cautiously plan. Thats obvious. Thats not to say it isn't something to be savoured. They say that when you lust for the past rather than looking forward to the future, then you are too old. I'm definitely not there yet. "

Travel for Louisa is 90% work. Even when she goes on holiday it seems a bit like work while she is flying. "The last thing I want is to be on a plane when I am supposed to be taking time off- thats why I love the train."

That said, she doesn't actually mind the flying for work. Like all the frequent flyers we met, it becomes part of the routine. Indeed, Louisa even said she enjoyed it as time off. "I actually like the bubble you are in when  you fly. You can use your laptop and get on with work or you can just relax, read a paper and chill out before the world takes over again"

The perfect flight for Louisa is one from London City airport, where there is no waiting, she is straight on then off the flight, and it is less bustling and stressful than Heathrow. 

"I fly long haul a lot as I work in Asia and Africa and for that the BA flat bed is amazing. I mean, I'm good at sleeping on planes but that really does help. I have flown Emirates once and it really was world class business travel- though I usually have to fly BA as the company pays for it"

Louisa sees business travel as a necessity but worries about her carbon footprint. The solution for her would be to scrap low cost airlines, she laughs, but she does worry about the flying she has to do. She hopes trains will get better and cheaper, perhaps more like the TGV in France. 


No comments:

Post a Comment