Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Tisha: Living in the Here and Now


Tisha manages her day-to-day life with an efficiency and order that can best be summed up by the impressive collection of to-do lists stored in her Blackberry.

“My goal everyday is to maximize my time. I start the day writing up a list. I prioritize. Everything I do on a daily basis is calculated and planned.” As a top selling pharmaceutical rep, Tisha’s methodical personality lets her do her job well – and allows her to fit in as much as possible in a day.

Yet, when the conversation turned towards the idea of the future, she laughed. The way I think about the future is completely dichotomous to what I do every day.” In fact, Tisha rarely gives much thought about anything that could happen as near as two months down the road.

Her wariness about thinking in the long-term, she says, can be attributed to her mother. “My brother and I have a running joke. If we ask Mom to visit us for events or holidays, her reply always is,  ‘I’ll think about it and let you know the week before.’” Because of certain events in her mother’s life (including a childhood in Vietnam during the war, and the death of a spouse), Tisha was taught not to put too much stake in the future. “My mom never wanted to plan ahead. When I was growing up, she told me it was bad luck to plan too far in advance.”

That said, Tisha doesn’t let her ambivalence about the future stop her from treating herself well. Since she was nine, she has dreamt about visiting the Mediterranean and Greek Isles. The notion of taking that dream vacation has been on her back burner for years, but didn’t come to fruition until very recently. 

This year, she experienced several terrific sales quarters at work.  “I feel like I’ve defied the economy. I’ve had the most financially successful year ever!” Yet, Tisha’s decision to finally take her trip wasn’t just spurred on by financial factors. This year, she’s also made a personal decision not to wait for life to happen. Although taking the trip by herself wasn’t the most ideal scenario, she warmed up to the idea. “This trip was one of the biggest gifts I’ve given myself. I’ve realized that I can’t always wait or rely on others' schedules, but it’s still important that I treat myself well.”

Don’t wait. Make it happen. The future is now.

When it came to planning her trip, Tisha moved fast - in keeping with her typical day-to-day persona. She left the vacation planning to a travel agent to ensure that she’d maximize the ten days there and get the fullest experience possible. 

For similar reasons, she’s a fan of frequent flier programs. I get a sense of accomplishment when I rack up my miles.” Being able to take full advantage – whether it’s of the day or of a program – gives Tisha a feeling of satisfaction that ties into her credo of living her life to its most maximized – to its fullest potential.

After having a wonderful time in Greece, she is now planning a trip to Paris for next year. For Tisha, it feels daring to plan this far in advance, but she’s willing to overrule her natural inclinations and take the risk because, as she says, “the pay-off is greater.”

No comments:

Post a Comment