Wednesday, October 28, 2009

James: A business traveler

James flies 3-4 times a week and so for him it is routine. "I am very intolerant of non-travelers, getting in the way", he says, likening it to people not understanding the escalators on the London underground. Solo travel is no longer a stressful experience for James. He checks in on his mobile for his Lufhansa flights, he sleeps on the plane and he handles the Jet-lag easily.

Family holidays are a different experience, however. "God, they're stressful", he sighs. 
"I love family holidays of course but there is just so much more organizing. I have to look after my wife, my kids, we need entertainment on the flight. When I travel on my own I just get on, sleep and get off- and its like a car journey - but with my family it is an EVENT"

So James' experience changes depending on the circumstances. As a business traveler, James wants the service to be like his clients - prompt, serious, easy to deal with. "I don't want an airline to care for me or to empathize, I just want them to have a good lounge, land on time, and not cause me any hassle". 

In fact, he couldn't care less about an airline being cool like Virgin, and the thought of his Lovemark Apple creating an airline does not excite him at all. "I suppose that might be interesting but I don't need an airline which is funky- just one which gets me to where I want to go."

The thing to understand about James is that he is always in control- he is a successful business man flying the world to meet clients and the flight is the one time when control is taken away from him. "I have to fly because video conferencing will never replace face to face, but at the same time, to put all my trust in an airline is difficult. If they don't get me there on time I mess up with my clients and that's a big deal"

James needs an airline which understands the pressure he is under to perform, and which creates a bond of trust that they WILL get him there on time and without hassle, or will make up for it if they don't. 

No comments:

Post a Comment