Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Every New Discovery begins with a Person


TC is an Italian ex-pat living in the United States.

When it comes to the future of travel, TC is dreaming big.
“Well, I guess that the universe is the limit now. I think that we could eventually get outside of the earth, seeing as we’ve seen all parts of it now.”

However, within the realm of travel a bit more tied to our planet, all TC wants is for travel to be easier and faster.
“I like to get to the destination. Nowadays, the places that I like to visit or want to go are really far away. It’s about how comfortable the trip is.

And while she’s waiting for her chance at the moon, she’s looking forward to spending more time in Africa, South America and China.
“I am fascinated by China and it’s history and culture. I want to understand how they balance their history with where they are now and where they can potentially go in the future. With Africa, I’ve been there a few times. The natural beauty of the country is what attracts me. And then there is South America. It’s partially the beauty of the country, but it’s really the beauty of the people.”

In fact, what really drives TC’s passion for travel isn’t so much about the experience of another country;
it’s her desire to feel more connected to something bigger than herself and to better understand her place in the global community.

“I’m interested in people. I like to connect with people and I like to really see how these people are living and how they are different from the culture I come from. Travel has always been discovery and being able to see other places and meet other people. See how those people live, understand the history behind it. Why do they act and do certain things? It’s because they come from certain roots. I always found it fascinating - that piece of the travel itself - aside from the beautiful places that you can see. It’s very exciting. I think about travel as a way to learn about your world and new cultures.”

It occurs to TC there’s something else she wants out of travel.
She wishes that she didn’t have to land to fulfill her need to connect with people, to see “more smiling people…because I think we’ve lost the pleasure of getting on to an airplane and seeing a warm, friendly face welcoming you. It just makes it nicer.” Because, at this point “I treat airlines like getting on a bus – they just get you from place to place.”

To make the flight more personal while providing a service that she would actually consider valuable, the notion of “personal assistant” comes to mind.
“If the airlines could, once you land, or before, help you get into the new culture, that could make it nice and pleasurable. Even if it’s a taxi that’s attached to your airticket to take you someplace because it’s always quite disorienting when you get to a new place. It would be nice to have someone or something trusted to help in those first moments, to help you on your way.”

Ultimately, a healthy dose of empathy from an airline could help provide more discovery and facilitate a feeling of connectedness on any journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment